Soup - corn and butter bean chowder
Recipe highlights Serves: 4
- Good source of folate
- Suitable to freeze
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Easy to swallow
- Email this recipe
- Add recipe to your shopping list for re-using and sharing
- 2 corncobs, husks and silk removed
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 shallots, trimmed and thinly sliced
500 ml vegetable or chicken stock, salt-reduced
1 300g can butter beans, rinsed, drained
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons basil, shredded
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
black pepper, freshly ground
cayenne pepper, to sprinkle
1/2 cup light milk, evaporated
4 small lime, wedges
1. Remove the corn kernels from the corncob with a small sharp knife.
2. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan to a medium-low temperature. Add the shallots and cook stirring until just soft.
3. Add the corn kernels and stock to the pan, cover, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until corn is just tender (about 10 minutes). Stir occasionally.
4. Add the butter beans, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Puree 1 cup of the soup until almost smooth, using a food processor or blender.
6. Return to the pan, add the basil, parsley and stir to combine.
7. Return the pan to the stove and bring to the boil over a medium heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally. Stir in the lime juice and allow to boil through for 1 minute.
8. Add the evaporated milk and season with pepper to taste.
Notes: To serve, ladle the soup into small bowls, sprinkle with pinch cayenne pepper and serve with your favourite crusty bread.
Average quantity per Serving
Average quantity per 100g
|Total fat (g)|
|- Saturated fat (g)|
|- Polyunsaturated fat (g)|
|- Monounsaturated fat (g)|
|- Sugars (g)|
|Dietary fibre (g)|
|Niacin equivalents (mg)|
|Vitamin C (mg)|
|Total folate (ug)|
|Total vitamin A equivalents (ug)|
|Beta carotene equivalents (ug)|
(Logo links to further information)
This recipe was orginally published as:
Creamy corn and butter bean chowder
Recipe publication date on: 11/25/2002
Last reviewed on: 20/11/2012