Soup - hearty vegetable
Recipe highlights Serves: 6
- Good source of folate
- Suitable to freeze
- Store covered in fridge (under 5°C)
- Dairy free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Email this recipe
- Add recipe to your shopping list for re-using and sharing
- 1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup macaroni
2 carrots, chopped
300 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 X 300g can butter beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion over medium heat for 3 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the carrot, celery, pumpkin and zucchini and stir into the onion mixture.
4. Add the stock, tomatoes and oregano, and bring to the boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
6. Add the pasta and cook a further 10 minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are tender.
7. Stir in the butter beans and heat through. Just before serving, stir in the parsley.
Notes: This recipe can be adapted with 200g trim lamb fillets (cut into thin strips and quickly stir-fried over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes) added to the soup at the end of cooking.
Delicious with damper or crusty rolls.
Use egg free pasta if you are preparing food for people with an allergy to egg.
Average quantity per Serving
Average quantity per 100g
|Total fat (g)|
|- Saturated fat (g)|
|- Polyunsaturated fat (g)|
|- Monounsaturated fat (g)|
|- Sugars (g)|
|Dietary fibre (g)|
|Niacin equivalents (mg)|
|Vitamin C (mg)|
|Total folate (ug)|
|Total vitamin A equivalents (ug)|
|Beta carotene equivalents (ug)|
(Logo links to further information)
Source: Australian Institute of Sport (1999),
Survival for the fittest, Murdoch Magazines, NSW.
This recipe was orginally published as:
Hearty vegetable soup
Recipe publication date on: 08/22/2001
Last reviewed on: 14/11/2013