Sauce - Napoli
Recipe highlights Serves: 6
- Suitable to freeze
- Store in freezer (under -18°C)
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Email this recipe
- Add recipe to your shopping list for re-using and sharing
- 1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 kg roma tomatoes, ripe, diced
1 handful basil leaves, stalks removed, washed, dried and chopped
1. Cook onions and garlic over low heat in olive oil.
2. Add tomatoes, cover and simmer for approximately 2 hours. (stir from time to time and if the tomatoes are catching, add a little more water and lower the heat).
3. Blendin a food processor. Pass through a sieve.
4. Add chopped basil to sauce and simmer 5 to 10 minutes until the flavours infuse.
Notes: Make this sauce when tomatoes are at their peak in flavour and at their cheapest. The long slow cooking develops the flavour almost magically. This sauce will freeze very well for later use.
Average quantity per Serving
Average quantity per 100g
|Total fat (g)|
|- Saturated fat (g)|
|- Polyunsaturated fat (g)|
|- Monounsaturated fat (g)|
|- Sugars (g)|
|Dietary fibre (g)|
|Niacin equivalents (mg)|
|Vitamin C (mg)|
|Total folate (ug)|
|Total vitamin A equivalents (ug)|
|Beta carotene equivalents (ug)|
(Logo links to further information)
Source: Recipe developed and tested by Adrian Richardson, 2006.
This recipe was orginally published as:
Recipe publication date on: 11/16/2006
Last reviewed on: 17/07/2012