Lentil dhal with spice
Recipe highlights Serves: 2
- Good source of fibre, folate, iron
- Suitable to freeze
- Store covered in fridge (under 5°C)
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Low salt
- Email this recipe
- Add recipe to your shopping list for re-using and sharing
- 1 cup red lentils
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground chilli
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 cups water
2 medium potatoes, chopped into 1cm cubes
1 small sweet potato, chopped into 1cm cubes
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
1. Wash lentils thoroughly and drain.
2. Heat frypan, adding oil.
3. Cook spices, garlic and ginger over low heat until fragrant.
4. Add lentils and water and bring to the boil.
5. Add vegetables and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils and potatoes are soft.
6. Add coriander.
7. Blend together until desired consistency. Serve warm.
Notes: If you are preparing food for people on a gluten-free diet, always check the ingredients on all food labels, especially any prepared items like sauces.
Average quantity per Serving
Average quantity per 100g
|Total fat (g)|
|- Saturated fat (g)|
|- Polyunsaturated fat (g)|
|- Monounsaturated fat (g)|
|- Sugars (g)|
|Dietary fibre (g)|
|Niacin equivalents (mg)|
|Vitamin C (mg)|
|Total folate (ug)|
|Total vitamin A equivalents (ug)|
|Beta carotene equivalents (ug)|
(Logo links to further information)
Source: Recipe developed and tested by Consumer Science students studying Community Nutrition at RMIT University, 2003
This recipe was orginally published as:
Spicy lentil dhal
Recipe publication date on: 10/02/2003
Last reviewed on: 17/07/2012